Taste 3 (out of 5)
Difficulty 3 (out of 5)
- 10 oz / 300 g ground turkey (705 cal)
- 5 oz / 150 g bread (370 cal)
- 1/2 medium onion (30 cal)
- 2 garlic cloves (10 cal)
- 2 tsp sun dried tomatoes in oil (45 cal)
- 4 egg whites (60 cal)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup water
For the sauce
- 1/2 cup orange juice (65 cal)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (5 cal)
- 4 tbsp tomato sauce (40 cal)
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce (5 cal)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard (5 cal)
- 1/4 tsp sambal oelek
Total 1340 cal, 30 meatballs, 45 cal/meatball
1. Cut the crust off the bread and soak the crumb (the softer inside part) in water.
2. Puree all the ingredients, except the meat and the wet bread, in a blender.
3. Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a large baking sheet with a silicon mat or a lightly greased aluminum foil.
4. Mix everything, form 1 inch balls, and place them on the baking sheet . It might be helpful to have a bowl of warm water nearby to wet the hands if the meat sticks.
5. Bake for 15 minutes on one side, flip the balls and bake for 15 more minutes on the other side.
6. For the sauce: combine all the ingredients in a small sauce pan and cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes or until the sauce reduces by half.
- The balls turn out to be very moist, whether it’s good or bad - it’s up to your personal taste. I like the baking part, because there is no need to use the oil (saves calories).
- Goes well with baked veggies (served with baked zucchini in the picture).