AdSense Full Screen test

Friday, January 29, 2010

Challah in 5 Minutes a Day


Source
Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day 

Taste 5 (out of 5)

Difficulty 2 (out of 5)

Ingredients / Instructions 
available online here or in the book

Afterthoughts
This is such a robust recipe - I made every possible mistake and it still turned out  wonderful. I love the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day and this looks like one of the best recipes from it!
I mixed half of the suggested amount, and miscalculated the amount of yeast, I put way too little, so the dough would not rise.  I added more yeast after the dough had fermented for 2 hours. The yeast did not dissolve, and I tried to mix the dough once again with the hands.
I left it outside for 2 hours and refrigerated overnight, but when I tried to shape the Challah the next day, there were grains of undissolved yeast all over the dough, so I left it outside for 6-7 hours to ferment again. Now it has finally risen.
After one more night in the fridge I started shaping the dough again and had to braid it twice, because the first time it looked really ugly.
And to finish up, I baked this Challah together with potatoes, so I thought it might catch some of the potato and garlic smell.
Yet in spite of all this, it turned out AMAZING - soft, light, sweet, probably the best Challah I've ever had.

4 comments:

Velva said...

Your challah looks amazing. I was comforted to know that I could make every possible mistake, and it would still turn out good. I am still trying to get my courage up to make bread. You may have just inspired me.

MaryMoh said...

That's the best challah I have ever seen. I believe what you said....soft, light, sweet. The smell must be so goo, too.

megi said...

Your challah looks great, so well risen with a beautiful shine. Thank you for giving me the link. I subscribed to your blog, I'll be a frequent visitor for sure.

DCAja said...

nice and thanks!