Difficulty: 1 (out of 5)
Taste: 4 (out of 5)
- 1/2 cup unsalted margarine at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup frozen blackberries
Total: 1 7x11 inch cake, about 16 servings
1. Beat the margarine and the sugar until uniform and light (3-5 minutes in a stand mixer on medium speed).
2. Continue beating and add the eggs, one at a time, then the coconut milk and the vanilla.
3. Mix the flour with the baking powder and the salt. Add the coconut and mix.
4. Add the flour mix to the egg mix and gently stir in manually. Add the berries.
5. Grease a 7x11 inch cake pan and bake in an oven preheated to 350F for about 45-50 minutes until the loaf is lightly golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. The ovens may vary. In my oven I bake at 375F for 50 minutes.
6. Let the cake cool for 15 minutes before eating. If you want to store the cake, slice it, lay out individual slices on a baking sheet and freeze (if you freeze them together, they will stick to each other and will be hard to separate). Take out the slices as needed and defrost at room temperature for 15-30 minutes or in the refrigerator for about 1 hour or overnight. Freezing only adds moisture to the cake.
- Recently I had several really nice and moist berry coconut cakes (at parties and coffee shops) and am trying to recreate that experience. This is pretty good, but not there yet. If you have better recipes, I'd appreciate them!