Want something soft, crunchy, tart and sweet, that would be low calorie too? Try this Apple Rhubarb Clafoutis Crumble.
Taste 5 (out of 5)
Difficulty 2 (out of 5)
For the clafoutis
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour (300 cal)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (270 cal)
- 2 large eggs (140 cal)
- 2/3 cup low fat milk (80 cal)
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
For the fruit filling
- 3 medium apples (210 cal)
- 2 stalks rhubarb (20 cal)
- 1/2 cup orange juice (65 cal)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (70 cal)
For the crumble
- 1/2 cup oats (120 cal)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (110 cal)
- 1 oz/ 30 g almonds, chopped (175 cal)
- 1 oz/ 30 g brown sugar (115 cal)
- 1 oz/ 30 g cold butter (215 cal)
Total 1890 cal, 12 servings, 160 cal/serving
1. For the filling: chop the apples and the rhubarb into 1/4 inch cubes. In a medium sauce pan cook the fruit with the orange juice for about 10 minutes over low-medium heat stirring occasionally, until the fruit softens. Add 2 tbsp of brown sugar and mix well.
2. For the clafoutis batter: beat the eggs on high speed with an electric mixer for about 5 minutes until the eggs triple in volume. Add the remaining ingredients all at once and beat until all the flour is incorporated and the batter is smooth.
3. Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease a 9x7 inch baking sheet and spread the fruit evenly over the bottom. Pour the clafoutis mixture over the fruit. Bake for 10 minutes.
4. For the crumble: Mix all the ingredients using pastry cutter. If there are still lumps, crumble them with your fingers. Remove the baking sheet from the oven, sprinkle the crumble evenly on top of the batter and bake for 25 more minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
- I’ve been thinking for a while about making an apple rhubarb crumble and about making clafoutis. It was really hard to choose between the two, so I combined them and it turned out pretty good, in terms of both the flavor and the structure.
- In the calorie-saving spirit, the clafoutis layer has no butter at all - the fat comes only from the low fat milk and eggs. And the taste is great - I will not be adding butter to my clafoutis any more.