Adapted from Perfect Brownie recipe book with adjustments to reduce calories and fat
Taste 4 (out of 5)
Difficulty 2 (out of 5)
For the dough
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1 egg and 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp orange juice (or syrup from candying citrus peel)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda (mixed with 1 tbsp lemon juice or apple vinegar)
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the filling
- 2 cups diced peeled apples
- 1/4 cup sliced candied citrus peel (optional)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
For the crumbs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/4 cup pecans
1. For the batter, mix all the dough ingredients in no particular order.
2. Toss apple and candied citrus peel with brown sugar and sprinkle with lemon juice to prevent apples from browning.
3. For the crumbs, mix sugar, flour and margarine with your fingers to form rough crumbs. Add in the pecans, and mix a bit more.
4. Grease a 9x13 inches baking pan and pour the batter in, add the apples and then sprinkle the crumbs on top.
5. Bake on 350F for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
Light and fluffy dough, not too sweet. We really liked it. And it smelled great in the oven.