AdSense Full Screen test

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Raspberry Rolls


Source
Improvised based on Challah dough from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day 

Taste 5 (out of 5)

Difficulty 2 (out of 5)

Ingredients 
- 1 lb of Challah dough from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day (1250 cal)
- 5 tbsp low fat raspberry jam (175 cal)
- sweet egg wash = 1 egg white + 1 tbsp milk + 1 tbsp brown sugar (30 cal)
Total 1455 cal, 12 rolls, 120 cal/roll
Instructions
1. Cut 1 lb of refrigerated Challah dough (see instructions here or in the book). Dust the dough with all purpose flour and form a ball. 
2. Dust working surface and a rolling pin and roll the dough into a 12 inch round. You might need to let the dough rest a little if it shrinks back after you roll it. Use more flour to prevent the dough from sticking to the pin or to the table. 
3. Spread the jam evenly over the round. Using a pizza cutter, cut the round into 12 equal slices. 4. Roll each slice from the wide side towards the center. Place the rolls onto a baking sheet lined with the silicon mat or a parchment paper and allow to rest for 40 minutes. If the rolls do not rise, don’t worry - most likely they will rise in the oven.
5. In the meantime preheat the oven to 350F. Brush the rolls with the egg wash. Place the baking sheet on the middle rack in the oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes. 
Afterthought
- I really love them, I think this Challah dough is going to be a regular in my fridge.
- Of course, the same recipe will work with any other jam, chocolate, sugar with nuts or any filling you can think of. I'll be making chocolate next.

6 comments:

quickies on the dinner table said...

Wow - I almost can't believe that raspberry roll won't put rolls around my hips ; ) That does look wonderful. I am so tempted to make it for breakfast tomorrow. Can just imagine how good it would be with a cup of really fresh, hot, black coffee. Mmmmmm!

bunkycooks said...

These are really pretty and sound so simple to make! I love the calorie count. Gotta try them!

Emily Malloy said...

I honestly adore this cookbook and have wanted to try the Challah recipe! I looks like yours turned out great! I am quite inspired, thanks for sharing :o)

Biren said...

This looks so good and it is pretty simple to make. I've gotta try this!

CAid said...

great rolls!

DCAja said...

this is nice... thanks!