Zoe Bakes blog with some adaptations
Taste 2 (out of 5)
Difficulty 4 (out of 5)
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda mixed with 1 tbsp apple vinegar until bubbly
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs + 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 3/4 cup finely chopped high quality bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cups whole raw almonds
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup candied grapefruit or other candied fruit
1. Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt into the bowl of your mixer. Using a hand held mixer mix in the eggs, one at a time on low speed. If the mixer stalks at this point, continue with your hands. Add the chocolate, nuts, cranberries and candied grapefruit. Mix until everything is well distributed. The dough will be very thick and sticky.
2. Preheat oven to 350° and line a cookie sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.
3. Scrape the dough onto the cookie sheet. Divide the dough in half. Using wet hands form the two halves into logs. You want the logs to be as even as possible from one end to the other.
4. Bake for 30+ minutes or until the logs are firm to the touch. Allow them to cool for about 25 minutes. If the logs are still too warm they will fall apart when you try to slice them.
5. Slice the logs into 1/2 thick slices. Line them on the cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Then flip onto the other side and bake for 10 more minutes. If you want your biscotti softer, reduce baking time, but they will not store as long.
- The dough was super sticky and dense and my mixer almost broke down.
- The biscotti seems to be too chocolate-rich. I would cut the chocolate to 1/4 cup.