AdSense Full Screen test

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Honey Cake

.. with coffee and orange - yummy even for those who are not crazy about coffee cakes.
Source: Adapted from Food.com

Taste: 5 (out of 5)

Difficulty:
1 (out of 5)

Ingredients
- 1/2 cup of honey (515 cal)
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar, not packed (275 cal)
- 2 eggs (140 cal)
- 1/2 cup black coffee (room temperature)
- 1/3 cup canola oil (635 cal)
- 1/2 fresh orange, juice, pulp and skin, grated fine (40 cal)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (910 cal)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt (⅛ teaspoon)
- 1/2 cup of dried cranberries or raisins (205 cal)
Total 2720 cal, 10 servings, 270 cal / serving

Instructions

1. Mix the baking soda with the orange juice until bubbles form, and then mix all the ingredients except flour until uniform. At the end mix in the flour. The batter should be moderately loose, but not too loose.
2. Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan, and bake in an oven preheated to 350F for about an hour. Let the cake cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes and remove to the wire rack until completely cool.

Afterthoughts
- I am not crazy about honey cakes, but this one is really good. I suppose I would not have guessed that it has honey, had I not known.
- This recipe is very easy to make, and I love the fact that there is not much oil in it.

21 comments:

Emily said...

Sounds like a yummy Easter breakfast goodies. The color looks great!

Jocie's Mom said...

I'm wild about honey cakes and I bet the coffee addition makes it taste extra fantastic. Great recipe :)

Jocie's Mom said...

And your Honeycake would ABSOLUTELY rock my Honeycomb.

Cooking Gallery said...

This sounds great, would be perfect for breakfast!

Katie Zeller said...

I love 'honey cakes'. Perfect with a cuppa in the afternoon - or with coffee for breakfast or....
Orange and cranberries go so well together.

Anonymous said...

oh lovely! i had been looking for a honey cake recipe!

Hamsi said...

Lovely honey cake. yummy!

Hamsamalini Chandrasekaran
http://indianyummykitchen.blogspot.com

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

Lovely cake! Orange is one of my favorite flavorings for cakes.

Evan @swEEts said...

I don't think I've actually ever tried a honey cake- I'll have to give this a go sometime.. it looks delicious.

thekitchennoob said...

I've never heard of a "honey cake" before despite its long history and traditions. This looks great! I have a weakness for baked goods. :)

denise @ bread expectations said...

I've never had orange and coffee together in a cake and am now intrigued by the combination! I too love the fact that this hasn't got much fat in it - just the kind of sweet treat I need at the moment....

denise @ bread expectations said...

I've never had orange and coffee together in a cake and am now intrigued by the combination! I too love the fact that this hasn't got much fat in it - just the kind of sweet treat I need at the moment....

denise @ bread expectations said...

I've never had orange and coffee together in a cake and am now intrigued by the combination! I too love the fact that this hasn't got much fat in it - just the kind of sweet treat I need at the moment....

denise @ bread expectations said...

I've never had orange and coffee together in a cake and am now intrigued by the combination! I too love the fact that this hasn't got much fat in it - just the kind of sweet treat I need at the moment....

Spice Sherpa said...

Sounds excellent for Easter. Honey is delicious with so many flavors. I'm tempted to try this with fennel seeds. Thanks for the recipe.

megi said...

The crumb looks just perfect! I love the addition of orange juice and zest, looks lovely!

Angie's Recipes said...

Looks so inviting..I love the combination of flavours.

Delishhh said...

Coffee in bread sounds fabulous, i just need to try this recipe now. Thanks for stopping by love your site. You have a new subscriber!

Beloved Green said...

I like the light taste idea of this recipe. Very refreshing!

Jill@MadAboutMacarons said...

Beautiful with the orange in there. Coffee, orange and honey sound just gorgeous. Can you pass me over a piece with my coffee, please?

Adelina said...

I love zest in my cake. This looks yum!