AdSense Full Screen test

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Cream of mushroom soup in Vitamix

The perfect silky smooth soup: 1 minute prep, 10 minutes cooking
Source: Improvised

Taste: 5 (out of 5)
Difficulty: 1 (out of 5)

Ingredients:
- 200 g portabella or button mushrooms (45 cal)
- 50 g roasted onions (20 cal)
- 10 g roasted garlic (15 cal)
- 2 cups milk (220 cal)
- 1 1/2 tbsp rice flour or all purpose flour (60 cal)
- 2 tsp Better than Bullion Chicken base (30 cal)
- 2 sprigs of fresh dill
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
Total: 390 cal, 2 generous servings, 195 cal/serving

Directions:
1. Place all ingredients into Vitamix in the order listed.
2. Start Vitamix on speed 1, gradually increase to 5, blend for 5 seconds, increase to 10 and switch to High. Let run for 8-10 minutes until steam starts escaping from the cover.
3. Done!

Afterthought:
- I could not find any cream of mushroom recipes for Vitamix, so I thought that maybe Vitamix does not do a very good job on these, given that in normal mushroom soups, you need to saute the mushrooms first. So I made a small experimental batch and it immediately exceeded all my expectations: Simply excellent soup! With the perfect mushroom aroma and silky smooth texture. And with less than 200 calories per serving you can have it with your favorite crusty bread without any guilt :-). This is the second time I am making this recipe and certainly not the last one.
- This recipe uses roasted garlic and roasted onions. I make those in large batches once a while and freeze in small portions. It's very handy to have those on hand. And because they are roasted in the oven with hardly any oil, they are mush more diet-friendly than their pan fried cousins. Here is my recipe for making roasted garlic cubes.


10 comments:

Unknown said...

great blog can i get a invite to your Food Blogs board on pinterest,great work on the board .
cheers
http://pinterest.com/skateboarders/

Unknown said...

That recipe looks good. I own a Vitamix too and love how many different things you can make with it. I actually wrote a review of the Vitamix 5200 on another health blog if you or anyone is interested in checking it out.

sarah said...

This recipe sounds fabulous, I can't wait to give it a try in my new Vitamix 7500.

Angie's Recipes said...

A very creamy and delicious mushroom soup..and it's so easy and quick to prepare too.

Pam said...

It looks really good. I don't own a Vitamix yet, but have thought about it. Also, the Vanilla cream, layer cake (I know I am not re-naming it correctly.. but you know which one I mean) on your previous post looks amazing... I am going to have to go give that one a try.Thanks for popping over to my blog. I already follow you on Pinterest.

Joy Tilton said...

Thanks for adding me to Food Blogs board on Pinterest!

Joy Tilton said...

I keep getting comment notification for Food Blogs even though I clicked off. Do you have to do it since it's your board?
Joy Colleen Tilton

Unknown said...

Very great post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to mention that I’ve really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing in your feed and I hope you write again very soon!

Vitamix

Syari said...

this is awesome food!
syari

RCA said...

yummieee....
lesprivatkita