AdSense Full Screen test

Friday, May 13, 2011

Chicken Coconut Soup

A refreshing spicy Thai-inspired soup
Source
Adopted from “New Flavors for Soups” by Williams-Sonoma

Taste 4 (out of 5)

Difficulty 3 (out of 5)

Ingredients
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (330 cal)
- 1 package enoki mushrooms (30 cal)
- 1/2 small acorn squash (85 cal)
- 3/4 cup frozen shelled edamame (280 cal)
- 2 shallots, chopped (30 cal)
- 2 limes (20 cal)
- 1/4 bunch cilantro
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger
- 2.5 cups chicken stock (25 cal)
- 1 can /14 oz coconut milk (180 cal)
- 1/4 tsp sambal oelek
- 1/2 tsp yellow Thai curry paste
- 1 tbsp Asian fish sauce
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar (50 cal)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
Total 4 servings, 1030 cal, 260 cal / serving

Instructions

1. Peel and crush ginger, chop cilantro, zest and juice the limes (you’ll need both the zest and the juice).
2. In a large saucepan combine the stock, 1/2 can of coconut milk, ginger, cilantro, sambal oelek, shallots, and 1/2 tbsp of the fish sauce. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer to blend the flavors for about 15 minutes.
3. Peel and cut the squash into 1/4 inch thick slices and set aside. Cut the chicken into thin slices and set aside separately. Separate enoki mushrooms (they come in one bunch).
4. Strain the infused broth through a fine mesh sieve. Wipe the pot clean and return the broth to the pot. Add the brown sugar, the remaining coconut milk and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in the chicken and edamame and return to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the chicken is almost opaque throughout, about 5 minutes. Add the squash and the mushrooms and simmer until tender, about 5 more minutes.
5. Meanwhile whisk the lime juice with the curry paste and the remaining fish sauce. Add the mixture and 1 tsp of salt to the pot and stir to blend well. Taste the soup and adjust seasoning.

Afterthoughts
I liked it, not surprisingly given my (by now not so) recently acquired obsession with coconuts :-)

17 comments:

Jocie's Mom said...

Brilliant. Great flavor combos with the chicken and coconut. Your photo is fantastic as well! Thanks for sharing :)

Rumana Rawat said...

Lovely soup:)

Sutapa said...

Very fresh a lovely looking soup and I think the use of coconut milk will give this soup a brilliant taste!

Jocie's Mom said...

I'm devastated to hear your papaya pie didn't work out! Its really hard to do good fruits if they're not grown locally. I don't even buy berries anymore because they're so expensive and they taste so bland :(

megan @ whatmegansmaking said...

what an interesting soup flavor! I love coconut flavored things, and this soup looks great :)

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, boy, does this sound marvelous! I love Asian inspired soups with coconut milk....mmmmmm.

Magic of Spice said...

I love soups that utilize coconut milk, and although I do not each chicken...love these flavors :) Looks wonderful!

Belinda @zomppa said...

Ooo, yeah, I'll take a bowl of that!

Anonymous said...

I love your picture..It is so appetizing..and the ingredients in it are so refreshing

Anonymous said...

Fantastic recipe...flavors must be so good:)
Thanks for sharing....
I made made something also with refreshing note.... mint hummus:)
Thanks:)

Hannah said...

I've been crazy about Thai flavors (and especially curries) lately, so the basic concept here sounds delicious... All it would take is a little meat- and fish sauce-swap-out, and I'd be set! I may just have to play with this.

Sarah said...

this looks so beautiful! Chicken and coconut is a favourite combination of ours!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

This looks so good..and I have to ask you very elementary question...I will try to find yellow thai curry paste, but is it in a jar? I need a little bit of advice so I won't get lost in an Asian market (I hope SE Asian section in Chinese market has it)...

Gourmantine said...

Oh, this soup looks delicious (like everything on your blog) and I know it does taste wonderful, as I've tried it yesterday to wash away all the sweet things I've been eating! It was (and I say this sincerely) simply brilliant! Thank you for sharing :)

Magic of Spice said...

Just look at all of these beautiful flavors...gorgeous soup!

megi said...

This looks delicious, I love using coconut oil and milk, I am adding this recipe to my list to try it soon, before it gets too hot! Thank you for sharing.

HealthnutFoodie said...

Have you ever tried Moily Haldi?!? I have a "user friendly" adaptation in my book, but it is an amazingly tasty Sri Lanka street food using cashew/cilantro stem paste with all of the fabulous flavors the region is known for...coconut milk, lime juice, shrimp, ginger and more. Hands down our family's favorite summer soup!